I just received an email from reader and writer Gabriel Morales:
If you know of any editors who are familiar with Young Adult Sci-fi, could you please send me info on them?
Thanks, Gabriel. That’s a terrific question, and it’s my pleasure to answer it.
- First is a fabulous list from Joanna Penn (and if you are indie and not following her yet, then… well, now you know better. Go follow!). Her page includes both articles on editing and a TON of fabulous resources.
- Second is a fabulous list from agent Rachelle Gardner (following yet?) Her list includes editors for fiction, non-fiction, synopses, queries, and more.
- Stacy Ennis talks about how to find and vet a good freelance editor on the site of publishing expert Jane Friedman (follow Stacy; follow Jane Friedman).
- Corina Koch MacLeod and Carla Douglas talk about the different levels of editing and what each one accomplishes.
- Joel Friedlander follows that up with a podcast (transcribed, too) on what every self-published author should know about editing.
- Lastly, if you’re going to go with someone outside these lists, I highly suggest you check them against these two resources:
- Predators and Editors: http://pred-ed.com/pubagent.ht If the editor/agent/publisher in question has ever made a habit of bilking authors, their name should be here.
- Absolute Write forums: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/ I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been able to find info on any number of editors, agents, and small press here. Also, if you can’t find the name you’re looking for, you can post and ASK if anyone else knows about him/her/them/it. Seriously, do it. Some awesome word-loving person will answer.
I hope you find these resources helpful. I will update this post with new links and resources when I find them. Now go forth and be
Know an terrific editor? ARE you a terrific editor? Shoot me an email and I’ll add your name to this list!