Hi there! Here is the info from Amazon on how to do this, but I thought I’d try my hand at simplifying it for you.
Sending a file to your Kindle is essentially just emailing it to your Kindle address, but the FIRST time you do it, it can be a little complicated.
The thing to remember is the initial setup only needs to be done ONCE. After that, all you will ever have to do is email a MOBI file to yourself.
Here’s how to set it up, with screenshots:
- Head to Amazon’s “manage my Kindle” page and sign in (screenshot):
- Click on YOUR DEVICES (screenshot)
- You should see your Kindle or any apps you’ve installed there. Click on the little menu-button for your device (sceenshot) (phone, PC app, or actual Kindle).
- You should see here your Kindle email address. It will end in @kindle.com (screenshot).
- Copy that email address! We’ll be getting back to that in a minute.
- Now click the “Settings” tab.
- I know there’s a lot on this page, but you only need to worry about one thing. Scroll to the BOTTOM of the page, down to where it says, “Approved Personal Document E-mail List”
- See the link that says, “Add a new approved e-mail address?” Click on that.
- In the box that pops up, put your PERSONAL email address.
- Click okay.
And now all the crazy setup is done! You will never have to do it again.
Now, remember that send-to-kindle email address? (The one that ends in @kindle.com) All you have to from now on is email your Kindle books to that @kindle.com address as attachments.
In other words, go to your email program (Gmail, Outlook, or whatever you use) and create a new email going to your Kindle email address @kindle.com. Attach the MOBI file, just like sending a picture or a document. Send it. That’s all!
In about an hour (sometimes Amazon’s system is slow), your book will be on your Kindle, ready to read.
I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, please let me know!