The Shadow’s Breath are among the People of The Darkness include any magical beings with a primary drive to devour or collect. [themedy_alertbox icon="" colour="theme" font_awesome_att="" custom_colour=""]Note: this is a placeholder. There will be much more information in the future![/themedy_alertbox] World name: Umbra. The Darkness have a lifespan of three or four thousand years on average. As they grow older, they grow more powerful, but their control (and sanity) tends to..., and have successfully hidden most of their people’s history from the world. They’ve been called many names: shadow-djinn, demons, nightmares, evil spirits, but most of this is honestly just humans trying to make sense of something scary, beautiful, and dangerous.
A few actual facts:
- They have three hearts.
- Like most of the People of the Darkness, they live an average of three to four thousand years.
- Also like most of their fellows, they can’t reproduce among themselves. They require… shall we say, “aid” from another species. ( Note: here’s a story about it!)
- One is not considered a member of the Darkness unless one shows no heritage from the “other” parent. Dominant genetics make this more possible than you might think.
- There are lots and lots of Kin with Darkness in their blood running around. At least the Darkness doesn’t usually kill their rejects.
- They control shadows, can (and do) drain life-energy from anything sentient, and tend to avoid much light.
- Fire bad. Fire bad.
- They are far from sociable, and there tend to be very few of them running around at any one time. Each tends to set up his or her own little pocket-dimension outside of anyone else’s demesne.
- As a result, The home of the Darkness. It doesn't have light in the sense we understand it, and without magic in the blood, one cannot see there at all.... (the primary alternate I don't really need to tell you about this place. You live there. If you want pre-history according to the Ever-Dying, you can check Wikipedia. Unfortunately, that won't tell you the real story. Much of what was has been hidden for the sake of keeping the words apart, but I am slowly building a timeline which I will eventually publish... belonging to the Darkness) is riddled with weirdness – holes, invisible walls, fortresses that can only be entered when a star turns sideways and an eagle bleeds, things like that.
- The current “leader” of The Darkness (if one could be considered a leader of such a disparate group) is See Kanon., sometimes called The Raven King's real name. Bran's grandfather, he's an incredibly dangerous creature, and one of the few old enough to know Notte from Notte's infancy. He's got a big role in Half-Shell Prophecies, largely stemming from a tendency to eat his offspring to extend his own life. He's got some major problems, many of which stem from his unnaturally long....
There will be more later, but for now, this will do. To read about the Shadow’s Breath counterpart, check out Note: this article refers to the people of the Sun's counterpart to Shadow's Breath, simply called The Breath. These guys are mirror counterparts to the Shadow's Breath, though if you told either species that, they'd probably kill you. Mythos genealogists generally believe that one of these two came first, and the other resulted from a failed breeding experiment (then just....