The Shadow’s Breath are among the People of The Darkness include any magical beings with a primary drive..., and have successfully hidden most of their people’s history from the world. They’ve been called many names: shadow-djinn, demons, nightmares, evil spirits, but most of this is honestly just humans trying to make sense of something scary, beautiful, and dangerous.
A few actual facts:
- They have three hearts.
- Like most of the People of the Darkness, they live an average of three to four thousand years.
- Also like most of their fellows, they can’t reproduce among themselves. They require… shall we say, “aid” from another species. ( Note: here’s a story about it!)
- One is not considered a member of the Darkness unless one shows no heritage from the “other” parent. Dominant genetics make this more possible than you might think.
- There are lots and lots of Kin with Darkness in their blood running around. At least the Darkness doesn’t usually kill their rejects.
- They control shadows, can (and do) drain life-energy from anything sentient, and tend to avoid much light.
- Fire bad. Fire bad.
- They are far from sociable, and there tend to be very few of them running around at any one time. Each tends to set up his or her own little pocket-dimension outside of anyone else’s demesne.
- As a result, The home of the Darkness. It doesn't have light in the sense... (the primary alternate I don't really need to tell you about this place. You live t... belonging to the Darkness) is riddled with weirdness – holes, invisible walls, fortresses that can only be entered when a star turns sideways and an eagle bleeds, things like that.
- The current “leader” of The Darkness (if one could be considered a leader of such a disparate group) is See Kanon., sometimes called The Raven King's real name. Bran's grandfather, he's an incr....
There will be more later, but for now, this will do. To read about the Shadow’s Breath counterpart, check out Note: this article refers to the people of the Sun's counter....